Charlton Question Time with Paul Rogers!
We catch up with Paul Rogers who has been kind enough to answer some questions for us to use on Vital Charlton as we get some views from our members this summer between seasons.
1) How long have you been supporting Charlton?
Since the 1975-76 season so that`s what, 35 years!
2) What have been your best, and worst memories as a Charlton fan over the years?
Best I guess certain games such as the 4-4 play-off final in 1998 (obviously) and other less obvious games, such as the 4-2 beating of Arsenal at Highbury (2001) and the 3-4 home loss to Chelsea many years ago (early 80`s I think). Worst memories include being told we were moving to Selhurst Park by leaflet handed out at the turnstiles, and various games when at half time we were 2 or 3 goals up only to lose or draw at the end of the game. I`m thinking of the 4-5 loss to Sheffield Weds at Hillsborough also in the early 80`s. Oh, and for me personally, the 2-0 home win against Fulham when we won promotion in 1985-86. I hadn`t realised that a win was a virtual guarantee of us going up so I decided not to go, only to miss the party.
3) Who do you regard as the best Addicks player you've ever seen?
My first thought was Paul Walsh (Allan Simonsen wasn`t really there long enough for me to count him as a 'true` Charlton player).
4) Were you surprised by the teams that got promoted from League 1 last season? (Norwich City, Leeds United and Millwall.)
not really. If anything I was only surprised by how consistently good Norwich - but no other team - were last year.
5) Were you surprised that we didn't gain promotion back to The Championship?
a little, although this decreased as the season progressed.
6) Realistically speaking is there a player you'd like to bring to The Valley this summer?
a quality striker who could get up 20+ goals. Someone like Morrison (Millwall) or Austin (Swindon) who is plucked out of the lower leagues fro next-to nothing. And assuming Bailey does depart, we`ll also need another midfield terrier.
7) Fantasy speaking if we could sign any player who would it be?
8) Who is the player we can least afford to lose this summer?
Nicky Bailey. Looks like he`s gone though.
9) Do you think that Phil Parkinson is the man to be in the SE7 hot seat?
I think Parkinson did pretty well last season esp. given the terrible financial state we`re in at the moment. I wouldn`t change him until the end of the new season at the earliest.
10) What are you expecting us to do in League 1 this season?
I would expect us to be in the play-off positions at least.
Thanks to Paul Rogers, hopefully you will continue to retain an interest in Vital Charlton.
If you would like to answer these questions visit the forum. Click here and then do what is asked of you.
What is the thought among the Addicks followers on this site on Paul Rogers' answers? Share these feelings below so we can discuss them.